grades most commonly used in the bitumen sector are:
- ARBOCEL ® ZZ 8-1 G and
- ARBOCEL ® ZZC 500
used as an asbestos replacement, 30 % to maximum 50 % by weight of the asbestos
quantity previously used is usually sufficient.
ARBOCEL ® cellulose fibers result in:
- Greater thickening
Extremely good slump resistance
even in hot environments (over 90°C)
- Good workability
- The shorter the average fiber length of the ARBOCEL® grade, the smoother the surface of the finished product
- If dissolvers are used, we recommend that the fibers be
added at the end of the blending process
- With moderate to low-viscosity cold bitumen compounds,
sedimentation may occur. This can be inhibited by stabilizers such as magnesium
coated silicates or pyrogenic silicic acids.
the case of bitumen systems that are applied by airless spray, the correct ARBOCEL® grade for the nozzle size must be used to prevent clogging.
ARBOCEL ® in Bituminous Systems
- Vibration dampening pads
- Expansion Bands
- Filler compounds / putty
(Note: ARBOCEL® is usually used only in medium
and high-viscosity systems)
- Medium and high-viscosity spray and brush-applied compounds
- Roof coatings (with or without aluminum)
In general when ARBOCEL® is used in bitumen emulsions it must be ensured that the ARBOCEL® is added in small portions to the bitumen emulsion while stirring. (If too much ARBOCEL® is added, the bitumen emulsion can separate and form clumps). The rest of the materials can then be added and blended.
ARBOCEL® cannot be used in cationic bitumen emulsions